A BAG FOR THE AGES


Pretty self indulgent outfit of some of my favorites, vintage 'flaum' jacket, Bodie ghost town shirt, vintage Levi's jeans and vintage boots

While out looking for a mother’s day present at the antique stores downtown, I stumbled upon this bag for myself! I’ve been looking for a bag to be second-in-command to my trusty leather messenger bag, so that I may enshrine it as long as possible. I wouldn’t want to put my trusty leather companion in the line of fire, like being stuck with vintage band pins and at the mercy of my verdant stitching skills, so it’s nice to have a bag that can take abuse in its stead.

It’s a vintage mailbag, I can tell because the lining is very old and has a lot of stains (don’t worry, I cleaned it), which some would find disgusting but I consider them stains of authenticity. I’ve stayed clear of the tote realm of, I’m going to refrain from using the term ‘”murses”, because I’ve never cared much for the look on men and definitely not on myself, but I cannot deny their functionality. This bag works the same but doesn’t ride high up into your armpit when you wear it over your shoulder like a tote bag would.

The design itself is pretty chronologically ambiguous to me, it couldn’t be too old since the price was right, but I could imagine it even fitting in during medieval times since the design is so basic. It to me is a bag for the ages (I hope this clears up the ridiculous title). I like the slouchiness of it too, brings a relaxed element to any look, which goes well with my style which sags on the slouchy, sloppy end of the style spectrum.




I’m a fan of building a dangling shrine of sentimental talismans on your utilities (cellphone, handbag, etc.), so I thought I’d put together one for my new bag. The furry blue claw was a birthday gift from one of my closest friends Paige, and is probably one of my favorite things, joined by my furry eyeball critter, Lego incarnations of Vader and Boba Fett given to me by my cousins and two pins I knicked from my Dad’s vast collection. Naturally a creative cluster such as this will be a work in progress, so look forward to tweaks in the future.

-Cruz