LEATHER KNICKERS


Levi's jacket, vintage tunic, Zara scarf, vintage knickers, and 50s rain boots

Picked up these leather knickers at a vintage shop while I was staying in LA over break. FINALLY. It's pretty tiring sifting through endless racks (or piles) of vintage clothes, because the abundance of vintage flannels and ironic animal sweaters isn't so easy on the eyes. I've been starving for something, scratch that, anything impractical and just plain strange. I found my fix in these pants, an embodiment of two things that I always have my eye out for: leather bottoms and knickers. I hope to find more of both of these in the course of my future vintage shopping trips, but I'm not sure how likely that will be since there doesn't seem to be much of a place for the leather bottoms or knickers wearing gentleman.

My outfit was inspired by one part Givenchy Menswear S/S 09 and one part this photo of Keef:

I'm so obsessed with that scarf that Keith wore for the Stones' 1972 tour of the states. I recently learned, according to Up & Down With the Rolling Stones, that it is in fact a prayer rug. I'm in the process of seeking out random yards of fabric and rags to work on my take, although I have to say my Zara scarf has served me well for adding a finishing drapey, messy touch to most outfits. In typical Cruz fashion, I threw on a military-esque jacket as a finishing touch to this particular look. Probably looks pretty kinky commando paired with the leather shorts, but whatever.

Another addition to my list of 'FINALLY's, is that I scored a peasenty, linen looking top. It has been a damn near impossible search, since to find one that's not embroidered with flowers or one that's not sized for a 13-yr-old girl is a rare occurrence. I'm not blasting it in this post though because I'm probably gonna wear it to death this summer.


I've been looking for a pair of leather pants ever since Givenchy F/W 08/09 came into my life, but it's been really hard to find a pair that fits and looks right. So the task of properly seeking out a decent pair has been stuck in the stagnant sea that is my 'To Do List'. With summer around the bend, it's probably not a good idea to seek out a pair of leather pants just yet anyway.


-Cruz